Choose from the following list of ways to begin a new project:
- Document with Setup Wizard. This command displays the Setup Wizard, which lets you specify instruments, score information, and score settings for an automatically-created document. This menu item is setup as the default for the keyboard shortcut (
COMMAND+N); you can change which item in the New submenu receives the keyboard shortcut in the Preferences - New dialog box.
- Default Document. Use this command to create a new untitled document using Finale's default file. This file has a single staff of 31 measures and includes the default set of expressions, articulations, repeats, Smart Shapes, and other markings that can be found in the selection dialog box for these items. For more details, including instructions for customizing the default document, see Default document.
- Document From Template. Use this command to create a new document using one of the included template files—several dozen empty scores configured for string quartet, jazz band, full orchestra, and so on—saving you the trouble of constructing such “manuscript paper” setups yourself. Finale displays the Open dialog box where you can select the template you want to copy for your new document. Then you are prompted to customize it in the Score Information and Score Settings pages of the Setup Wizard. You can save this file with any name you wish. Document From Template preserves the original, unmodified template that ships with Finale, so that you can use it again the next time you need a similar configuration.
- Document Without Libraries. Use this command to open a completely blank, unformatted document.
- Exercise Wizard. Finale can create a collection of exercises, such as scales or thirds for an entire ensemble, with parts for each instrument. See Exercise Wizard for more information.