You are here: What is... > Program defaults > Finale Spotlight Plug-in
Spotlight is a system-wide desktop search feature of the Mac OS X operating system introduced in version 10.4. The Finale Spotlight plug-in supports the following standard Spotlight attributes:
- Content Creator. This is the Finale version.
- Composer. The composer, as entered in the File Info tab of the Score Manager.
- Copyright. The is the copyright entered in the File Info tab of the Score Manager.
- Description. This is the description entered in the File Info tab of the Score Manager.
- Duration (in seconds). This is the duration, in seconds, of the file. Entering 10.5 represents media whose content is 10 and 1/2 seconds long.
- Fonts (used in document). List of font names used in the file.
- Key Signature. This is the key signature of the first measure in the file. Currently only standard key signatures are supported. For example: C, Dm, F#m, Bb.
- Lyricist. This is the lyricist as entered in the File Info tab of the Score Manager.
- Number of Pages. Number of pages in the document. Note: this attribute is not searchable, but appears in the Get Info window.
- Page Height. Height of the first page of the document in points (72 points per inch).
- Page Width. Width of the first page of the document in points (72 points per inch).
- Tempo. This is the tempo listed in the playback controls.
- Title. The title as entered in the File Info tab of the Score Manager.
- Time Signature. This is the time signature of the first measure in the file, for example: "4/4", "7/8".
Support for the following Finale-specific attributes
- Arranger. This is the arranger as entered in the File Info tab of the Score Manager.
- Default Music Font. Default Music Font in the file.
- Instruments. Instruments in the Finale file.
- Parts. Linked parts in the notation file.
- Solo Staff. Solo staff as listed in the SmartMusic Accompaniment Options dialog Box.
- Staves. List of the full staff names in the document.
- Subtitle. Subtitle as listed in the File Info Dialog Box.
How to use Spotlight with Finale
To find, for example, all Finale files composed by Bach:
- Go to the Finder and press COMMAND+F to start a new Find.
- In this example, we found 48 files that include the text "Bach" in the composer field of Finale's File Info (or in the composer field of an MP3 file from iTunes). To show only Finale Files, add a filter.
- Notice there is now only 1 file. Additional information is also available. For example, select a file in this list and type COMMAND+I for More Info.
- Click the More Info triangle to reveal all the file's attributes found by the Finale Spotlight Plug-in.