How to get there
The Main Tool Palette is almost always open on the screen. If it’s not, choose Window > Main Tool Palette.
What it does
This palette contains all of Finale’s primary tools, which you can rearrange or hide. You can move, resize, reshape, or hide the palette itself. Hover your mouse cursor over any of the tools to reveal the name of the tool. Click on the name of the tool in the picture below to view that section of the manual.
- Articulation tool . Click a note to attach a marking; click a handleA small square which appears on currently "selectable" elements in the score. Handles allow you to select, edit and adjust musical elements in the score. to move or delete one.
- Chord tool . Choose an input method from the menu; click a note to add or edit chord symbols.
- Clef tool . Double-click a measure to insert a clef change.
- Expression tool . Double-click a measure, note or rest to attach text or a shape to one or more staves.
- Key Signature tool . Double-click a measure to insert a key change.
- Lyrics tool . Use the menu to create or edit lyrics and position them in the score.
- Measure tool . Double-click a measure to set characteristics; drag to move a barline. Click or double-click the tool icon to add blank measures to the end of the score.
- Page Layout tool . Click the page to adjust margins or systems.
- Repeat tool . Double-click a measure to create repeats, ending brackets or text such as 'To Coda'.
- Resize tool . Click a note, to the left of a system or top left page corner to change its size.
- Selection tool . Double-click an object to go to its editing tool. Click and drag to move an object.
- Simple Entry tool . Click or use keystrokes to select values from the palette, and then use your mouse, computer keyboard, or a MIDI keyboard to enter notes.
- Smart Shape tool . This tool lets you create a number of special beaming, stemming, and note positioning changes in one measure at a time.
- Speedy Entry tool . Click a measure to edit or insert music, with or without a MIDI keyboard.
- Staff tool . Use the menu to add or edit staves -- names, transpositions, groups, brackets, etc.
- Text tool . Double-click to add text blocks. Use menus to change fonts, borders and so on.
- Time Signature tool . Double-click a measure to insert a meter change.
- Tuplet tool . Click the first note of a group to create or edit a triplet.
- [Close box]. Click this small button at the upper-left corner of the palette to close the palette. Once it’s hidden, you make the palette reappear by choosing Window > Main Tool Palette.
- [Title bar]. Drag the strip across the top (or left) edge of the palette to move the entire palette to a new screen location.
- [Sizable frame].
Click on the very edge of the palette and drag the sizable frame to reshape the entire palette.As you drag, the palette snaps into new configurations: tall and thin, short and stout, square, and so on. If your monitor is wider than it is tall, for example, you might consider rotating the palette so that it’s a short horizontal strip. If you drag the resize box inward toward the upper-left corner, you hide tools. Drag the resize box outward again to bring them back into view,