Installing Finale is typically easy and automatic, accomplished by following the directions displayed during the installation process. However, if you do have trouble installing, use the following procedure to resolve the most common installation problems.
Before you begin installing Finale, make sure there’s enough room on your hard disk to hold the program and its associated files. For a full installation, you’ll need about 600MB of free space on your hard disk. An additional 3GB is required for all the Garritan sounds. You should also bear in mind that, like many other software programs, Finale creates and makes use of “temporary files” during its normal operations, which it then deletes from your hard disk when you exit the program. We recommend having an additional 10MB of free disk space for these files.
Tip: If you have a previous version of Finale installed on your computer, you do not need to uninstall it prior to installing the new version. In fact, if you want to migrate particular settings or configuration files from the previous version as listed in step 5 below, you must not uninstall the previous version before the new version is installed.
Because some virus detection programs can prevent certain files from installing properly, we recommend you temporarily disable anti-virus programs. Rest assured, your Finale disc or download does not contain any viruses.
Noteman says: The Installer sets up a folder called “Finale 2014” for the Finale program and its associated files and folders. Do not alter this setup.
- Insert the installation disc into your CD/DVD drive.
- If the Installer doesn’t start, click the Start menu and choose Run. Type
d:\setup(where D represents the CD/DVD drive on your machine) and click OK. The Finale Installer starts the installation process.
If an error message appears stating “Cannot find the file,” your CD/DVD drive may be assigned to a letter other than D. Look in “My Computer” to find out which letter is associated with your CD or DVD drive.
- Follow the instructions on the screen until the installation is complete. The Finale Installer lets you select which files you want installed and where you want them placed on your hard disk. The Installer offers to create a folder called “Finale 2014”. We recommend that you install all of the Finale files into this new folder. For the most part, you can press Enter to confirm each screen’s defaults.
- Remove the Installer disc from the drive and store it in a safe place! If anything happens to your hard disk, you can reinstall Finale from your original disc.
- If you want to migrate particular settings or configuration files from a previously-installed version of Finale, follow the steps at To migrate settings and support files from one version of Finale to another.
|Step 2: Setting up your MIDI system|