Finale maintains program settings, including information about your MIDI system setup, by employing Finale preferences files.
Noteman says: Do not edit the FINALE.INI or FINMIDI.INI files unless instructed to do so by the MakeMusic Customer Success team. Doing so may interfere with Finale's MIDI and/or audio capabilities and can cause Finale to become unstable.
If a problem occurs during the course of using Finale, the MakeMusic Customer Success team may ask you to clear or delete your Finale preferences file
It is recommended that you do not edit or remove the following file
To delete the Finale preference file
- Close Finale.
- Navigate to the appropriate location below:
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[your account]\Application Data\MakeMusic\Finale 2014
- Windows Vista/7/8: C:\Users\[your account]\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2014
This is a hidden folder. To show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer, choose Tools > Folder Options, click the View tab, and select Show hidden files and folders.
- Delete the FINALE.INI and FINMIDI.INI files, which should be listed under the file type "Configuration Settings".
- On the desktop, empty your Recycle Bin.
- Restart your computer.
- Re-launch Finale. The FINALE.INI and FINMIDI.INI files are re-generated with default settings.