How to get there
- Choose the Repeat tool and double-click a measure. The Repeat Selection dialog box appears.
- Click Create. If you’ve placed a text repeat in the score, you can also enter this dialog box by double-clicking its handle.
What it does
In this dialog you can create a text repeat that functions as a fully operational repeat marking, such as "To Coda," "D.S. al Coda," and "D.C." Here, write your own text and specify the font and justification for the repeat. If you used the Document Setup Wizard, one of the included templates, or a new Default Document to start your score, repeats are already available for you. If you’ve started a document that does not already include text repeats, you can use predefined text repeats in the Text Repeats Library (Text Repeats.lib) provided with Finale. Note that this dialog box defines only the text itself and appearance of the text repeat (font and positioning specifications); to define its playback effects, you have to access the Text Repeat Assignment dialog box.
- Repeat Text. Enter the text for the repeat marking itself in this text box. The characters in this text box are displayed in the System font, regardless of the actual font you’ve chosen.
- Set Font. Click this button to display the Font dialog box in which you can set the font for your text repeat.
- Replace ‘#’
with: Number of Times Played • Text Repeat ID in Target • Measure Number in Target. When you type #, (or SHIFT+3) in the Repeat Text text box, the ‘#’ sign is a stand-in for the number of times played, text repeat ID in target, or measure number in target, which are all specified in the Text Repeat Assignment dialog box. When the text repeat appears in the score, Finale displays the selected value instead of the # symbol. For example, you might want your text repeat to say "Jump to Coda #th Time Only"; when the mark appears in the score, it reads "Jump to Coda 4th Time Only" (substituting the number you’ve indicated in the Play Section __ Times text box of the Text Repeat Assignment dialog box).
- Use This Font. This option is only available when Measure Number in Target is selected in the Replace '#'
with pop-upmenu. If you select this option, the entire text repeat you’re designing appears in the font you’ve selected by clicking Set Font. If you don’t select this option, the text repeat ID incorporated into the repeat text appears in its own font, regardless of the font selected by clicking Set Font.
- Enclosure Shape • Edit. Use this
pop-upmenu to choose the geometric shape of the enclosure that surrounds the text repeat. Click Edit to display the Enclosure Designer dialog box, where you can edit the settings of the currently selected shape like line thickness, corners, height, and width.
- Justification: Left • Right • Centered. Click the option corresponding to your choice of the text repeat’s alignment in the measure: flush with the left barline, flush with the right barline, or centered between the barlines.
- OK • Cancel. Click OK (or press
RETURN) to confirm the creation of your new text repeat. You can return to the score, or to the Repeat Selection dialog box, where the new text repeat appears in the list. Click Cancel to return to the Repeat Selection dialog box (or to the score) without creating or editing a text repeat.