A trill is often notated with two symbols: the indication and a wavy extension line (~) that indicates the length of the trill. Both components of a trill are available as Smart Shapes and Articulations. If you’ve loaded an Articulations library into your file (or if your Maestro Font Default file is in place), you don’t have to create the markings anew. See also Smart Playback.
- Choose the Smart Shape tool . The Smart Shape Palette appears. (If the palette does not appear, choose Window > Smart Shape Palette to place a checkmark by it.)
- Choose the Trill tool or the Trill Extension tool .
- Position the cursor in the measure where you want the trill or wavy line to begin.
- Double-click the mouse; on the second click, hold the button down and drag to the right until the trill or wavy line is the desired length. As long as you hold the button down, you can keep moving the end of the trill or wavy line.
To let the player know which notes are to be trilled, a small accidental, sometimes in parentheses, is often placed next to the symbol. (This tells the player to raise or lower the written pitch by a half step for the trill.) This symbol, too, is an Articulation; see Articulations. See also Engraver font - "Trill to” Noteheads.
Trills defined with one of the default trill articulations playback automatically if Human Playback is enabled in the
- Use any of the Finale note entry methods to enter notes.
- Choose Tools > Special Tools > Note Shape and click the measure in question. HandlesA small square which appears on currently "selectable" elements in the score. Handles allow you to select, edit and adjust musical elements in the score. appear for each note.
- Double-click the handle for the desired Trill to note. The Symbol Selection dialog box appears.
- Use the keystrokes from the table below to select the desired Trill to notehead from the Engraver Character Set. Click Select.
- Choose Tools > Special Tools > Stem Length and click the measure in question. Handles appear for each note.
- Click and drag the handle for the Trill to note's stem to shorten it.
- Choose Tools > Special Tools > Note Position and click the measure in question. Handles appear for each note.
- Click and drag the Trill to note's handle to adjust the horizontal positioning.
|l||Trill to notehead|
|SHIFT+l||Trill to sharp notehead|
||Trill to flat notehead|
||Trill to natural notehead|
The Engraver Font includes 75% reduced size Trill to characters. These noteheads are provided for Trill to notes when they are to be placed within the staff.
- Select the Articulation tool .
- Click the trill note. The Articulation Selection dialog box appears. Click Create.
- The Articulation Designer dialog box appears. Click Set Font in the Symbols section. The Font dialog box appears.
Engraver Font Setunder the Font section and click OK.
- In the Articulation Designer dialog box, click Main. The Symbol Selection dialog box appears.
- Select the reduced Trill to notehead using the table below. Click Select.
- In the Articulation Designer dialog box, click OK.
- In the Articulation Selection dialog box, click Select. The reduced Trill to note appears. If needed, use the handleA small square which appears on currently "selectable" elements in the score. Handles allow you to select, edit and adjust musical elements in the score. to adjust positioning.
|121||Trill to reduced notehead|
|89||Trill to reduced sharp notehead|
|180||Trill to reduced flat notehead|
|231||Trill to reduced natural notehead|