- Click the Expression tool . Double-click
on, above, or below the note to which you want to attach the marking.
The Expression Selection dialog box appears.
- Choose the desired expression category from the list on the left. Finale will automatically apply the category's font, style, and size to the new expression. If you would like to change the font, size, or style, you can do so in the Category Designer dialog box.
- Click the Create [expression category] button. The Expression Designer dialog box appears.
- Choose the Text radio button and type the text to create a text expression. See Expression Designer.
- Choose the Shape radio button and click Create to create a shape expression. Design the shape and click OK. See Shape Designer.
- To assign a playback effect for the expression,
click the Playback tab. See To
define an expression for playback.
- Category positioning is already defined. To change the positioning settings for the
expression, click the Positioning tab. See To assign the default positioning for
- If you are creating a rehearsal mark, and would like to use Finale's auto-sequencing rehearsal marks, check Auto Sequencing. See also To define and add custom rehearsal marks.
- Click OK. The expression appears in the Expression Selection dialog box.
- Click Assign to add it to the score. If the expression is not a tempo mark, tempo alteration, or rehearsal mark (see ) it can be assigned to any number of staves using . Click the drop-down next to the Assign button to choose a list of specific staves for assignment. Or click Assign to Specific Staves to define a new list. See Assign to Staves dialog box.
- Double-click any expression's handle (or select an expression's handle and press ENTER) to open the Expression Selection dialog box where you can choose a different expression or edit the existing one.
- SHIFT+double-click an expression's handle (or select an expression's handle and press SHIFT+ENTER) to open the Expression Assignment dialog box where you can specify positioning changes, staff assignment, and playback options for the expression.
Expressions that always apply to the full score, such as tempo marks and rehearsal marks, can be assigned to more than one staff using a . You can apply a Score List to a category in the Category Designer. For more information, see Score List dialog box.