Expressions that apply to single staves, including dynamics, technique text, and expressive text, can be added to multiple adjacent staves simultaneously using Metatools (see To add an expression using Metatools below). They can also be added to all staves, or a selection of specific staves using the Assign drop-down menu in the Expression Selection dialog box. can be defined in the Assign to Staves dialog box.
- Click the Expression tool .
- Double-click on, above, or below the note or
measure to which you want to attach the marking. Or, double-click the handle of an existing expression. The Expression
Selection dialog box appears.
- Choose the Dynamics, Expressive Text, or Technique Text category from the list on the left. Assignment Lists are only available for categories not compatible with Score Lists.
- Click the drop-down list next to the Assign button and choose the desired Assignment List. Finale adds the expression to the staves specified in the list. If you originally double-clicked an existing expression, Finale replaces the existing expression(s) with the newly assigned ones.
- To create a new list, click Assign to Staves to open the Assign to Staves dialog box where you can define a new Assignment List.
You can also change the staff assignment of an existing expression by right-clicking the expression and choosing Assign to Staves. See Expression tool contextual menus.
Additional expression assignment keyboard shortcuts
- Select an expression handle and press CTRL+Up arrow or CTRL+Down arrow to add the expression to the staff above or below (respectively).
- Select an expression handle and press CTRL+HOME or CTRL+END to add the expression to all staves above or below (respectively).
- Select an expression handle and press CTRL+ALT+ENTER to add the expression to all staves.