How to get there
You can access the Clef Change dialog box in three ways:
- Choose the Clef tool , then double-click any measure to enter a clef change at the beginning of the measure.
- To enter a mid-measure clef, highlight a region beginning where you would like to enter the clef change, then double-click the highlighted region (or press Enter). See Selecting music.
- In Simple Entry, select a note, press
ALT+SHIFT+C, and then Select.
What it does
In this dialog box, you specify which clef you want to use and tell Finale whether you want it to occur at the beginning of the measure or somewhere in the middle.
- Clef Selection. Use these icons to select a clef. Each Finale document offers eighteen clefs, which you can edit or rearrange with the Clef Designer dialog box.
- Show Clef: When
needed • Never • Always. Select When needed to display a courtesy clef if the clef is changing from the previous measure. Select Never to hide the clef. Select Always to force the clef to display.
Tip: Use Never at the end of a first ending repeat to set the clef for the second ending without displaying it. See Repeats (barlines and text indications).
- Clef Size ___%. This box is available only when you have selected Always in the Show Clef section. Enter the size of the new clef as a percent of full size.
- Measure Region: Measure ___ Through ___ • Measure ___ Through End of Piece • Measure ___ To Next Clef Change. Use these text boxes to select a range of measures you want to be affected by the clef change. Finale shows the measure you clicked in the text boxes; if you’re only changing a single measure, you don’t need to adjust these settings.
If you want to change the measure you clicked through the end of the piece, select the second option. If you want to change the measure you clicked until the next measure of a different clef, click the third option.
clef after barline. Check this option when a clef is shown to position it after the first barline of the clef change.
• Cancel. Click OK (or press ENTER) to confirm, or Cancel to discard, the changes you’ve made and return to the score.