How to get there
- Choose the Staff tool , and double-click within any staff to display the Staff Attributes dialog box.
- Click the Stem Settings button in the Items to Display subsection.
What it does
In this dialog box, specify the direction, staff offset and beam offset for stems in a staff. These settings are particularly useful for TAB notation.
- Stem Direction: Default Direction • Always Up • Always Down. Choose Default Direction to use the document’s default stem direction as defined in Layer options (see Document Options - Layers). Choose Always Up to freeze all steps in the staff up. Choose Always down to freeze all stems in the staff down.
- Horizontal Stem Offsets: Up Stem • Down Stem. Enter a value in the Up Stem or Down Stem text box to specify the horizontal gap between the notehead (or fret number) and the up and/or down stems in a staff.
- Use Vertical Offset For Notehead End of Stems • Offset from Notehead(s) • Offset from Staff • Up Stem • Down Stem. With Offset from Notehead selected, specify a value in the Up Stem or Down Stem text box to define a specific vertical gap between the notehead (or fret number) and the start (notehead end) of up and/or down stems in a staff. With Offset from Staff selected, specify a value in the Up Stem or Down Stem text box to define the absolute vertical position of the notehead end of up and/or down stems relative to the staff.
- Use Vertical Offset for Beam End Of Stems (Offset From Staff) • Up Stem • Down Stem. Check this box, and enter a value in the Up Stem and/or Down Stem text box to define an absolute vertical position, relative to the staff, for the stem endpoints (beam end of the stem).
- Units: EVPUs • Inches • Centimeters • Points • Picas • Spaces. When you enter the Staff Stem Settings dialog box, Units defaults to the current measurement unit selected under
Edit> Measurement Units. If you prefer, choose a different measurement unit for beaming from the dropdownmenu.
- OK • Cancel. Click OK (or press enter) to confirm, or Cancel to discard, your stem settings and return to the Staff Attributes dialog box.