How to get there
While in ReWire mode, choose Window > Playback Controls.
What it does
When using Finale in ReWire mode, the Playback Controls change to reflect this mode. The following options are available to control playback:
- Re-Sync Score Data Button . Click this button to update your DAW's playback after you've made changes to your Finale file.
- Rewind to Beginning . Click this button to enter the number 1 into the Measure text box, which indicates where playback begins. If the music is already playing back when you click this button, Finale stops playback for a moment, jumps to the beginning of the score, and resumes playback from there.
- Rewind . Click this button and hold the button down to make the number in the Measure text box decrease rapidly. If the music is already playing back and you want to hear something again, click this button for a moment, then release; playback will resume from the measure number (that you just changed) in the Measure box.
- Stop • Play
• Pause. Click Stop to halt playback and reset the Measure text box to its original value. Click Play to begin playback. If you click Pauseplayback will stop. After you click Pause, click Playto resume playback from the place you stopped.
- Fast Forward . This button makes the number in the Measure text box advance rapidly. If the music is already playing back and you want to skip ahead, click this button for a moment, then release; playback will resume from the measure number (that you just changed) in the Measure text box.
- Fast Forward to End . When you click this button, the Measure text box shows the number of the last measure in the score.
If the music is already playing when you click this button, Finale stops playback for a moment, plays the last measure of the score, and stops.
- Tempo: Whole Note • Half Note • Quarter Note • [etc.]. The Playback Tempo is used for playback only. The Playback tempo controls let you establish the playback tempo for your piece. Of course, if you’ve set up the tempo in other ways—by placing tempo markings into the score, for example—then this tempo setting will have no effect.
Not every tempo is measured in quarter notes per minute, of course, so you can select the basic unit of the tempo pulse (Half Note, Dotted Quarter Note, and so on) from the Tempo
drop-down list. To set the number of beats per minute—the actual tempo—either type a new number into the text box, or click the arrows to increase or decrease the displayed number.
- Playback Settings
. Most of the time, the controls described above are adequate for controlling playback. If you want to use some of Finale’s more powerful options, click the Playback Settings button. The Playback Settings dialog box opensto reveal several other controls and options. See ReWire Playback Settings dialog box .