A hidden note or rest in Finale may still takes up horizontal space, but it doesn’t play back or print out. Hiding a rest is an excellent way to provide a placeholder in order for a second voice to enter in the middle of a measure. Hiding a note or rest will not hide lyrics and chords assigned to the entry. It will hide other items attached to a note or rest such as articulations or expressions. See Notes and Rests (Hide) Plug-in, Notes and Rests (Show) Plug-in. See also Document Options - Music Spacing for spacing hidden notes.
- Choose the Simple Entry tool , and
CTRL+click the note you would like to hide. Or, simply make sure the note you would like to hide is selected (notes are automatically selected immediately after entry).
- Press the letter H key. To show the note or rest again, press H again.
- Choose the Speedy Entry tool , and click the measure in question. The editing frame appears.
- Click the desired note or rest. The pitch crossbar doesn’t have to be on the notehead.
- Press the letter O or H key. To show the note or rest again, press O or H again.
This method will show or hide entries hidden with Simple or Speedy Entry’s Show/Hide Entry command or hidden with the alternate notation style Blank Notation.
- Choose View > Show > Hidden Notes and Rests. Any hidden notes and rests are either hidden from the score or shown in a shade of gray on the screen, with a different hue for each layer corresponding to each layer’s display color.