The Engraver font includes notehead characters to create both indeterminate and determinate note clusters.
- Use any of the Finale note entry methods to enter the note cluster pitches.
- To hide any accidentals, choose the Simple Entry tool .
OPTION-click the note or highlight the note with the caret. The note is selected.
COMMAND+SHIFT+- (hyphen) to hide the accidental on the selected note. Repeat as necessary.
- To change the default noteheads to cluster noteheads, choose Tools > Special Tools > Note Shape and click the measure in question. HandlesA small square which appears on currently "selectable" elements in the score. Handles allow you to select, edit and adjust musical elements in the score. appear for each note.
- Double-click the handle for the desired cluster note. The Symbol Selection dialog box appears.
- Select the desired indeterminate notehead based on position using the table below. Click Select. The original notehead has been replaced by an indeterminate cluster notehead.
- To remove notes visible outside of the cluster, choose Tools > Special Tools > Note Shape and click the measure in question. Handles appear for each note.
- Double-click the handle for the undesired cluster note. The Symbol Selection dialog box appears.
- Select Slot 32 to replace the existing notehead with a blank character.
- If the note cluster is outside the staff, ledger lines can be hidden by choosing the Selection tool to select the note cluster measure or beat.
- Choose Plug-ins > Note, Beam, and Rest Editing > Ledger Lines (Hide).
Tip: If the Engraver Font Set is not displayed in the Symbol Selection dialog box, see Fonts to access the Engraver font.
|59||Top indeterminate cluster notehead|
|58||Middle indeterminate cluster notehead|
|201||Bottom indeterminate cluster notehead|
|242||Filled indeterminate cluster notehead|
- Follow Steps 1-6 from the above steps.
- Select the determinate notehead based on duration using the table below. Click Select. The original notehead has been replaced by a determinate cluster notehead.
- Follow Steps 8-12 from the above steps, if needed.
|211||Determinate cluster for whole notes|
|210||Determinate cluster for quarter and half notes|