How to get there
- Select a region of music with chord symbols.
- Choose Utilities > Add/Remove Capo Chords.
What it does
Noteman says: If you find that your selected measurement unit is too large or small to work with, you can override your global choice by including the units or abbreviation when entering values. Or, you can set the default measurement units used in this dialog box by choosing
When writing for fretted instruments, use this utility to add chords/fretboards that display the chord letter/fingering as played with a capo fastened to the fret you specify. For example, if a capo is fastened to the third fret on a standard guitar, chord symbols are transposed down a minor third to display the relative chords as they would be fingered; in this case, a guitarist fingering the usual E major arrangement above the capo would be playing a G major chord. Using capo chords, the guitarist can pretend the capo is the nut and finger the chords comfortably. In other words, while capo chords do not display the correct sonority, they allow a guitarist to read and perform the music efficiently.
- Capo at Fret. Use this text box to enter the fret to which the capo is fastened.
- Place Capo Chords _ Above Chords. Type a value to specify the distance the capo chords should appear above the existing chords.
- Add Text at Start of Region. Use this text box to enter the text that should appear to the left of the first capo chord. By default, this text reads "Capo [#]:" where # = the value entered for Capo at Fret.
- Use Fretboard Font. Check this option to use the font selected for fretboard diagrams in Document Options - Fonts dialog box. Uncheck this option to use a custom fretboard.
- Remove Existing Capo Chords. Check this option to clear capo chords in the selected region.
Cancel •OK. Click OK (or press RETURN) to confirm, or Cancel to discard, the changes you’ve made and return to the score.
Tip: If the chord symbols are changed, capo chords do not update. After changing chord symbols that include capo chords, use the Add/Remove Capo Chords dialog box to remove and reapply capo chord symbols.