If a performer needs to switch instruments, all aspects of the staff may need to be updated, including the clef, transposition, and so forth. You can make these changes easily using the Change Instrument command. When you change instruments, Finale also loads the correct playback sounds, and makes all other changes, including Percussion Layouts and Percussion MIDI Maps, automatically.
Noteman says: Instrument changes in Finale 2011 or earlier were added as Staff Styles. Finale converts all instrument change Staff Styles to instrument changes when opened in Finale 2012 and later, adding the respective instruments in the ScoreManager. See Mid-score Instruments.
- Choose the Selection tool . Select the region of the staff that will include the instrument change. Or, to define an instrument change until the end of the piece, select a single measure. See Selecting music.
If the selection includes more than one instrument, Finale disregards all but the top instrument.
- Choose Utilities > Change Instrument. The Change Instrument dialog box appears.
If the top staff of your selection is a single-staff instrument, you will see a list of single-staff instruments to choose from. If the top staff of your selection is any staff of a multiple-staff instrument, you will see a list of multiple-staff instruments (piano, harpsichord, etc.).
- Choose the new instrument from the list and click OK. Finale adds the instrument change, and also adds a change back to the original instrument in the measure after the selected region.
To view all instrument changes, click the
- Choose the Expression tool .
- Double-click the first measure of the mid-score instrument change.
- Click the Technique Text category.
- Click Create Technique Text.
- Type the desired text (e.g. "To Flute").
- Click OK, then Assign. Repeat these steps for the change back to the original instrument. If you change instruments again, these expression will be available in the Expression Selection dialog box.
- Choose Window > ScoreManager. The ScoreManager appears.
- Click the
to the left of the Staff Name in the Name column. Instrument changes are listed below the Layers, Chords, and Expressions.
- Under the Vol column for the instrument change, specify the volume by entering any value between 0-127. This setting is dynamically linked to the Volume sliders in the Mixer and Staff Controls.
If the Vol column is not visible, choose Customize View > Mix to show it.
- Note the beginning measure of the instrument change, and the original instrument.
- Choose Window > ScoreManager.
- Click the arrow+ to the left of the Instrument Name of the original instrument (the one beginning on measure 1).
- Identify the instrument by referring to its Name and the Start Meas. column, then click
to the right to delete it.
If the Start column is not visible, choose Customize View > Start Measure to show it.